The National Park Service provides a valuable web site on Civil War veterans and here is what they say about the 4th Regiment, Virginia Cavalry unit:
4th Regiment, Virginia Cavalry
4th Cavalry Regiment completed its organization at Sangster's Cross Roads, Prince William County, Virginia, in September, 1861. Its members were recruited in the counties of Prince William, Chesterfield, Madison, Culpeper, Powhatan, Gouchland, Hanover, Fauquier, Buckingham, and the city of Richmond. The unit was assigned to General J.E.B. Stuart's, F.Lee's, Wickham's, and Munford's Brigade, Army of Northern Virginia. It participated in the Battle of Williamsburg, the Seven Days' Battles, and the Second Manassas and Maryland campaigns. Later the unit was involved in the conflicts at Fredericksburg, Kelly's Ford, Chancellorsville, Brandy Station, Upperville, Gettysburg, Bristoe, Mine Run, The Wilderness, Todd's Tavern, Spotsylvania, Haw's Shop, and Bethesda Church. The 4th went on to fight in the Shenandoah Valley with Early and around Appomattox. It totalled 450 effectives in April, 1862, and lost about three percent of the 544 engaged at Gettysburg. After cutting through the Federal lines at Appomattox, it was broken up. Only 2 members were present at the surrender. The field officers were Colonels Stephen D. Lee, William H. Payne, Beverly H. Robertson, William C. Wickham, and W.B. Wooldridge; Lieutenant Colonels Charles Old and Robert Randolph; and Majors Alexander M. Hobson and Robert E. Utterback.
Click here to search for soldiers in this unit.
From the Virginia Regimental Histories Series we look to Kenneth Stiles work on the 4th Virginia Cavalry for a view of this unit:
On The Frontier — 1861
The 4th Regiment Virginia Cavalry has been described as one of the most distinguished cavalry commands in the Confederate service. The unit participated in every major battle and campaign which involved the Army of Northern Virginia and produced three brigadier generals. A fourth would have risen from the ranks had the war not ended abruptly in April of 1865. The regiment rode and fought for Virginia and the Confederacy from before First Manassas to the last charge from Appomattox Court House up the Lynchburg road where the unit disbanded, never handing over its colors, nor stacking its arms in submission. Ten companies composed the 4th. Chesterfield County's company was organized in 1851. Four companies from Goochland, Hanover, Warrenton and Richmond came into being in the latter part of 1859 during the John Brown excitement. That raid in October of 1859 was the driving factor behind the organization of the cavalry units from Prince William, Madison and Powhatan counties as well. The last company to join the 4th was from Buckingham and was formed in March of 1862 for three years of Confederate service. The companies were:
Company A Prince William Cavalry
Company B Chesterfield Light Dragoons
Company C Madison Invincibles
Company D Little Fork Rangers (Culpeper)
Company E Powhatan Troop
Company F Goochland Light Dragoons
Company G Hanover Light Dragoons
Company H Black Horse Troop (Warrenton)
Company I Governor's Mounted Guard (Richmond)
Company J Philip McKinney's Company (Buckingham)
Additional commentary from this text by Kenneth Stiles provides some insight into the hardships they experienced during the war:
At the bottom of the report, the recording officer commented on what he thought was the reason forthe bad conditions of the 4th Regiment:
First, we have been actively engaged since the 4th of May, 1864, have been marching and countermarching, and much exposed to stormy and rough weather, and an inadequate amount of forage for the horses has depleted the animals. That until now, no opportunity has been offered to reorganize, and the heavy loss of officers killed and wounded in Battle, and by sickness from exposure is the prime cause.
Second, We have been compelled to send the sick and wounded "back to [the] rear" and the Surgeon has scattered the men to the four winds.
This account of the 4th Virginia's condition told the story better than anything else could. And it mirrored the rest of the division rather well too.Though beaten into weariness by both battle and Mother Nature, the soldiers still held on.
By March 2, Fitz Lee's division was ordered to regroup. The following week, the cavalry moved farther up the James River because a "want offorage and provisions" paralyzed the force while it remained near Richmond.
The lack of food for the cavalry persisted as Fitz Lee crossed the James River and moved to High Bridge near Farmville on March 8. With aterrible rain darkening the skies that Wednesday night, some in the brigade joked about having to learn "Yankee Doodle" and the "Star Spangled Banner" again.